Did you know that there are many unsuccessful Bespoke software application development projects today? Some became unsuccessful because they either over the budget, missing a function or late. That is why it is of vital importance to consider some of the best practices when it comes to developing software application.
Below are some of the best practices with Bespoke software application development
1. It is of vital importance to choose an appropriate development lifecycle process to a project. Some choices may include RUP or Rational Unified Process, eXtreme Programming or XP, or Global Services Method.
2. Requirements gathering and agreeing is vital for the success of a project. This does not necessarily mean all requirements have to be fixed before any design, architecture and coding are done, but it is necessary for the development team to understand what has to be built.
3. Code construction is a fraction of the entire effort of a project but usually the most visible. A best practice in constructing code includes the smoke test and daily build.
4. Choosing the right architecture for your app is key. Consider contacting a consultant to work with your team and to ensure the project could get started on the right path.
5. Make sure to have a good design since even a good architecture may still be possible to have a bad design. There are many apps that are either under designed or over designed. The basic principles here would be keeping it simple and information hiding.
6. Peer reviews are vital to eliminate problems that may exist. Reviews are as effective or even more effective compared to testing. Any artifact from the process if development is reviewed, such as requirements, plans design, architecture, code and test cases.
7. Testing is not an afterthought when the schedule becomes tight. It is a vital part of the development process that has to be planned. Testing should be done proactively, which means that test cases are planned before coding begins.
8. Configuration management includes being aware of the state of all artifacts that make up the project or system, managing the artifacts state and releasing distinct version of the system.
9. Defects and quality management is vital so that a plan could be constructed to help a team achieve a quality software. As a project is coded and tested, he defect and fix rate could help in measuring the code’s maturity.
10. Deployment is a final stage of releasing the app for the users. You have to plan for deployment and use a deployment checklist on the Construx site.
Bespoke software development is typically more like building something that is never been built before. The requirements are unique and the pieces have never been in such a way assembled before. Moreover, there is also a probable risk of creating something new. Effective development of software could be achieved as long as one has the expertise and the experience necessary to create a successful solution. For every software app developer, whether a single individual or a company, the best practices should always be imposed.